Allusion nedir? Allusion örnekleri. İngilizce edebi terimler sözlüğüne hoş geldiniz.
Allusion is a figure of speech, in which an object or circumstance from unrelated context is referred to covertly or indirectly. It is left to the audience to make the direct connection. Where the connection is directly and explicitly stated (as opposed to indirectly implied) by the author, it is instead usually termed a reference.
In the most traditional sense, allusion is a literary term, though the word has also come to encompass indirect references to any source, including allusions in film or the visual arts. In literature, allusions are used to link concepts that the reader already has knowledge of, with concepts discussed in the story.
Academic analysis of the concept of allusıons
- Casual Reference, “the use of language which recalls a specific antecedent, but only in a general sense” that is relatively unimportant to the new context;
- Single Reference, in which the hearer or reader is intended to “recall the context of the model and apply that context to the new situation”; such a specific single reference in Virgil, according to Thomas, is a means of “making connections or conveying ideas on a level of intense subtlety”;
- Self-Reference, where the locus is in the poet’s own work;
- Corrective Allusion, where the imitation is clearly in opposition to the original source’s intentions;
- Apparent Reference “which seems clearly to recall a specific model but which on closer inspection frustrates that intention”; and
- Multiple Reference or Conflation, which refers in various ways simultaneously to several sources, fusing and transforming the cultural traditions.